What does an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) Specialist do?
Disorders in Ear, Nose and Throat are managed by ENT doctors.
What are the many types of diseases and disorders related to the Ear, Nose and Throat?
Some of the disorders in Ears are Otitis Media(Acute/Chronic), Otitis Externa, Conductive /Sensori Neural hearing loss, Vertigo and Tinnitus.
- Disorders in nose are Allergic Rhinitis, Sinusitis, Headache, Anosmia, Epistaxis, etc
- Disorders in throat are Tonsillitis, Pharyngitis, Tracheobronchitis, Voice disorders etc
What are the symptoms that are commonly grouped with disorders of the ear, nose and throat?
- Symptoms for Disorders in ears are ear pain, ear discharge, hearing loss, giddiness and tinnitus.
- Symptoms of disorders in nose are nasal block, running nose, sneezing, headache, loss of smell, etc
- Symptoms of disorders in throat are throat pain, swallowing difficulty, breathing difficulty, cough and voice disorders
Could disorders with the ear, nose and throat be related to other health issues afflicting other parts of the body? And how serious can the afflictions be?
Yes. Ear, Nose and Throat is the focus for sepsis organs. Any severe infection in ear, nose & throat can cause sepsis (infection) in patients with less immunity.
Q & A by Dr. Sundhari Venkateswaran, MBBS, DNB (ENT), MNAMS
ENT Specialist, Kauvery Hospital, Chennai