People at risk of Nipah
Close contact with infected pigs.
Consumption of fruits/date palms contaminated with bats.
People in close contact with infected individuals.
Incubation period of 5-14 days.
Illness present with 3-14 days of fever/ head ache followed by drowsiness, disorientation & mental confusion comes with 24-48 hours.
50% of patient will show severe neurological / respiratory symptoms.
- Avoid exposure to sick pigs.
- Fruit bitten by bats/ birds should not be eaten.
- Fruits & vegetables should be washed properly.
- Precautions while handling laboratory samples.
- Personal protective equipment must be used.
- Hand hygiene must be followed.
- Strict personal hygiene.
Article by Dr.J. Raghav Raj
Resident, Internal Medicine