Heart health depends on all parts of your body functioning normally. There are certain parameters that a doctor will check to ensure that your heart is healthy. Let’s take a look the important ones:-
Cholesterol assists the body in building new cells, insulates nerves, and helps in the production of hormones.
There is good cholesterol (HDL) and bad cholesterol (LDL).
HDL Cholesterol (Good Cholesterol)
- > 45 milligrams per deciliter for women
- > 50 milligrams per deciliter for men is good for a heart healthy pattern
- <130 milligrams per deciliter is optimal level
- <100 milligrams per deciliter is ideal level
High blood pressure
High Blood Pressure is linked to heart disease, heart failure, stroke & kidney disease as well
Blood pressure parameters
- Blood pressure reading consists of two numbers, one on top of the other.
- The top number is your systolicblood pressure. It is the highest level your blood pressure reaches when your heart beats.
- The lower number is your diastolicblood pressure. It is the lowest level your blood pressure reaches as your heart relaxes between beats.
- Ideally your blood pressure should be
> 120 over 80
< 140 over 90
Triglycerides convert the cholesterol in our body and provides our body with energy for metabolism.
- <150mg per deciliter (mg/dL) is normal
- Between 150-200 mg/dL is borderline
- > 200 mg/dl is high (increased risk of atherosclerosis)
- > 500mg/dl is dangerously high (may cause pancreatitis)
Body Mass Index
Body Mass Index is used to define different weight groups in people. High BMI is linked to high blood cholesterol, triglyceride levels, high blood pressure, and diabetes and heart disease.
- < 18.5 – Underweight
- Between 18.5-24.9 – Normal
- Between 25 – 29.9 – Overweight
- > 30 – Obese
- > 40 – morbidly obese
High blood glucose can cause damage to blood vessels and the nerves that control your heart and blood vessels. It can accelerate blockages in arteries supplying heart & kidneys.
Blood glucose parameters
- Between <126 mg/dL- when fasting
- Up to200 mg/dL – 2 hours after eating
It is important keep your parameters in the normal range to ensure a healthy heart.