ORIGINAL RESEARCH, INNOVATION and GUIDED RESEARCH
• Work done on Diabetic Foot recognized by IIT Madras by the conferring on Dr. V.B Narayana Murthy of the prestigious Visiting / Adjunct Professorship by the Department of Applied Mechanics and Biomedical Engineering division of the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
• Original research on the validation of indigenous medicine for Asthma. The study involved documenting the bronchodilatory effects of Adathoda Vasaka on the smooth muscle of the rabbits.
• Involved in the development and spread of the use of HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) in the standard care of Diabetic Foot, and for various difficult and recalcitrant conditions. This is a new treatment modality in India, though it is known in other parts of the world.
• Research and studies on the use of NIRS (Near Infra-Red Spectroscopy) for microcirculation and perfusion in diabetic feet and the evaluation of ulcers.
• The use of lasers for the evaluation of microcirculation in pre-diabetic and diabetic patients.
• Research at IIT Madras on the early recognition of at-risk feet in diabetics
• Guided Research: A 2-year prospective study among diabetic subjects in a large automobile ancillary manufacturing unit on the role of Pressure Measurement and Footwear among two randomly assigned groups of diabetic patients. This thesis was judged the best ever by the Examiners of Colombo university.
• Guided Research: Numerous Masters’ degrees have been awarded for the work of my students who conducted research on various clinical and theoretical aspects of the treatment of Diabetic Foot and reconstructive surgery
PRESENTATIONS, LECTURES, PAPERS, INVITED POSITIONS, and PUBLICATIONS: A SAMPLING
• 1993: Presentation of an audit on the rate of amputation in reconstructed feet using microsurgery at the Annual British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons Meet in Oxford UK
• 2004: Presentation of ‘Pressure Measurement in Diabetic Foot: Indegenous and Original Research’ at the 3rd National Diabetic Foot Society Conference at Jaipur, India
• 2004: Invited Faculty for the National Distance Education Programme in
• Diabetes by Annamalai University attended by over 400 delegates from all over the country.
• 2005: Presentation on ‘Plastic Surgical Reconstruction in Diabetic Foot’ at the 4th National Diabetic Foot Society of India Meet, Cochin, India. Also conducted a workshop on wound healing at the same forum.
• 2005 - Paper Presentation on ‘Diabetic Foot Infections’ at the All India Orthopedic Surgeons Conference held at Chennai, which was attended by over 5000 delegates
• 2006: Presentation on ‘Surveillance, Prevention and Reconstruction of Diabetic Foot Ulcers’ at the National Meeting of the Society of Endocrine Surgeons of India, Kanyakumari, India
• 2006: Presentation on ‘Mechanical Offloading in Diabetic Foot’ at the 7th Wound-Healing, Science and Industry Meet at St Thomas Islands US. I was invited for this meet by Peter Sheehan, Past President, the American Diabetes Association
• 2007: Talk titled ‘Managing Diabetic Foot’ at the Association of Surgeons of India, Nagerkoil Chapter.
• 2008: Invited to deliver lecture at The James Cook University Hospital in Middlesborough, and the Nottingham Diabetic Wound Care Center, UK
• 2008: Invited Faculty for the 7th National Diabetic Foot Society of India Meeting, held at Kolkata, India.
• 2008: Invited faculty at the North of England Medical Education Meeting to talk on Diabetic Foot
• Complete course of Hepatitis B Vaccinations provided free of cost to around 450 children in the poor school adopted by Sundaram Medical Foundation, on behalf of Lions Club.
• I provide medical and surgical services to medical camps conducted by Chinmaya mission, Ayyappan Seva Samaj and many other voluntary organizations.
• PCT Application Co-inventor of PedoPowergraph jointly with IIT Madras and Sundaram Medical Foundation Chennai.
• Patent for healing footwear in Diabetic foot
• Patent for prevention of ulcers in Diabetic foot
• Patent for design of the Footwear
• Co-inventor of the rubber compound for diabetic footwear
• Patent for Isobaric Isometric Aesthesiometer with IIT Madras
• Vice-President (2014) and Life Member, Diabetic Foot Society of India, Chennai. During my tenure as Executive Member, I conducted and was the Organizing Chairman for the 6th International and National Diabetic Foot Society of India Meeting (year). We had many stalwarts in attendance, such as Chris Attinger from Washington DC, Mike Edmomds from Kings Collage Hospital, London and David Armstrong from the US. Over 450 national and international delegates who attended the Meeting appreciated the course content, speakers and programs.
• Executive Member of the Indian Society for the Surgery of the Hand, NOIDA
• Life Member, Association of Surgeons of India, Chennai
• Life Associate Member, Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, New Delhi
• Life Member, Indian Medical Association, New Delhi
• Life Member, Madras Chapter of Oto-rhinolaryngologists
• Life Member Chennai Chapter of Plastic surgeons
- Achievement Award by the Indian Science Monitor for contribution to Diabetic Foot research (2009)
- Citation and Achievement award by the Association of Surgeons of India, Nagerkoil Branch, for research and original work and contribution to clinical practice in the area of Diabetic Foot (year)
- Tamil Nadu State prize for Tuberculosis Research (1982)
- Memorial Prize for Medicine (1982)
- Prize for Leprosy Research: First prize (1982)
- AKN Menon Gold medal for Radiology (1981)
- Surgical Clinical Exam Prize, 2nd Place (1981)
- Old Students Prize for Proficiency in Microbiology (1980)
- Old Students Prize for Proficiency in Pathology (1980)
- Prize memorial Prize for Medicine 1982
- Devasigamani Oration- 1995, by the Occupational therapy Association of India. Soon after my return to India and in recognition of my work on the basic understanding of foot pressures in diabetic foot.
- Combined oration by Association of Surgeons of India Association of Physicians of India (ASI and API)– Nagarkoil branch – Oration
- Prof Sam C Bose Oration in Plastic Surgery- a living legendary figure in Plastic Surgery.
- ICON Award -All India Kshatriya Federation Award. July 2018. (My Kshatriya Clan)
- GYTI – 2016 – Gandian Young Innovation Award -2016 for EZCLAMP – Rs.150,000/-
- BIRAC(Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council)Award 2017– From Govt. of India Scholarship for further developing EZCLAMP Rs. 5,000,000/-
- TITAN Bio Design Impact Award – Prestigious TATA award for furthering the use of EZCLAMP. Being awarded on 24. 07.2018 By none other than RATAN TATA himself.
I have been a very keen researcher since my undergraduate days. As a 3rd year student I was awarded the ICMR research grant leading to the study of the “Anaerobic and aerobic bacterial flora in infected burns”. This was the first of its kind in India and published in the All India Microbiology conference. My research also involved the validation of indigenous medicine for Asthma. I performed animal studies on rabbits to see the bronchodilator effects of Adathoda Vasaka on smooth muscle of the rabbits. This was an original study validating indigenous drug.
- 1980 – 1983 Trained as special trainee under Prof R. Venkataswami Considered the Father of Hand Surgery and living legend in Indiaat Govt Stanley Medical College. Madras. I was also training along with Dr. Rajasbapathy, Director Ganga Hospital Coimbatore, my icon, role model and who has been my idol since then and who inspired me to be a Plastic Surgeon.
- 1986 – 1994 Various training posts in the UK leading to the award of FRCS and the certification in plastic surgery by (BAPS) and RCS England. Trained by Mr.Graeme Perks, Immediate Past president BAPRAS. My idol and guide.
- Fully trained Micro surgeon and attended the prestigious Northwick Park Microsurgery course.
- Special training, Visits to Paris France with Dr Danial Marchac, a pioneer in Craniofacial and Cosmetic surgery. Professor Joseph McCarthy at the NEW York University New York USA,Professor Jatin Shah at the Memorial Sloane Kettering Cancer Center New York, and Professor Michal Poole at Oxford Royal Infirmary Oxford, England for advanced Craniofacial and Research Techniques.
- Craniofacial- New York, USA
- Cosmetic- with Dr.Marchac Paris, France
- Head and Neck Surgery- Memorial cancer Centre, New York
- Since Inception as Visiting specialist and then as a team giving 24/7 full speciality coverage
- Future-establish ‘Sushrutha” plastic surgery centre
- Cosmetic procedures-Rhinoplasty, Breast beautification, Body beautification surgery, Liposuction
- Peripheral nerve Surgeries-a-Brachial plexus palsy b-Birth defect and paralysis of arm due to childbirth c-Diabetic neuropathy surgeries, Diabetic foot ulcer surgeries.
- Hand, face and lower leg reconstruction
- Microvascular surgery
- Diabetic foot-peripheral nerve-reversal of neuropathy
- Brachial plexus-Repair, reconstruction, rehabilitation
- Cosmetic surgery, Breast reconstruction surgery
- Microvascular surgery
- Diabetic foot –full 360 degree care including footwear
- Team approach with 3 levels of experience in various fields
Field of interest
- Establish full fledged plastic surgery services
- Diabetic foot
- Child birth related Brachial plexus surgery successfully done here in Kauvery
- Microsurgery- Amputation prevention and cancers
- Diabetic neuropathy reversal
- Establish ‘Sushrutha” plastic surgery centre
- Full fledged Diabetic foot services
Active member of Lions Club of Madras (Host) the oldest and the most prestigious club in India. I was involved in a Mega Screening camp in the urban slums of Madras soon after my return to India and conducted numerous Plastic Surgical procedures free of cost funded by Lions Club. I was the secretary during 1999 –2000 and we managed to provide hepatitis B vaccination to around 450 children in the very very poor schools in urban Slums. All three doses were given totally free of cost amounting to over Rupees a hundred and forty thousand. I am involved actively in several Charities and support the education of very poor children in remote villages and provide clothing to the destitute elderly and several activities from my own charity organisation.
- Flood relief
- Wound care camps conducted
- As lion club secretary-Immunized all 500 aadi dravidar school children and health school workers Hepatitis B Vaccination
- Trustee of NGO
- Provide books and clothing to poor children in villages.
My endeavor is to place my original ideas at the service of my patients. It is my dream to use scientific methods and in-depth knowledge to develop simple solutions that will have a significant impact on the medical problems facing India today.