The answer lies in Balanced Diet.
1. What is balanced diet?
A balanced diet means eating a wide range of nutrient-dense foods in the right amount. Include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein, and a small amount of essential fat which plays a critical role in maintaining the healthy diet.
2. Why should we take a balanced diet?
Our body needs right nutrients for growth and maintenance. Too much or less of any nutrient will lead to serious conditions like Cardiac issues, Diabetes, Cancer, Hypertension, and Osteoporosis.
3. Benefits of a balanced diet:
• A balanced diet will lower the risk of developing a range of chronic diseases.
• The consuming of a good amount of fruits and vegetables promotes a healthy blood pressure.
• Lower the risk of cancer by eating antioxidant rich food present in fruits and vegetables.
• Low intake of saturated fat will protect your heart.
• Eating fiber rich foods will help prevention of diabetes, cardiac problems, constipation etc.
• Avoiding too much direct sugar will reduce the risk of diabetes.
• Consuming the right amount of calories keeps your weight under control.
4. How to have a balanced diet?
Include all food groups in your diet:
a) Fruits and Vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are the vital source of vitamins and minerals at least 5 portions per day
b) Starchy foods in diet: Include whole grains and pulses varieties of starchy foods (e.g) Brown rice, Whole Wheat, and Millets.
c) Milk and Milk products:
Milk products are a source of calcium and protein. Use skimmed milk 4% fat or less
d) Add a good amount of cottage cheese, low sugar yogurt and fortified dairy products.
e) Beans, Pulses, Egg, Meat, Chicken, Fish: Meat is a good source of protein, iron, vitamin, zinc and vitamin B12. Take skinless, lean meat 150-200gms thrice a week. Include nuts and oil seeds in moderate amount.
f) Oil: Some amount of oil is needed for a balanced diet. Consumption of unsaturated fat will help to lower cholesterol. Oil like olive, sesame, flaxseeds, and groundnut will provide you the good amount of unsaturated fats (300ml -400ml per month). So eat a balanced diet and stay healthy.
Article by Ms. K. Rathika
Dietician , Kauvery Hospital