Mango Cucumber Salad
Sign off this hot summer with this delicious, cool and spicy salad. The king of fruits makes every
dining table look spectacular and neither will anybody say no to a tasty bite of mango.
Mango has many health benefits prime amongst which are, the polyphenolic anti-oxidants in mango,
which protect us from breast, prostrate, colon cancer and leukemia. The carotenes in the fresh fruit protect
us from lung and oral cavity cancer. It is an excellent source for Vitamin C, A, and E. it is rich in potassium
with minute levels of sodium. It also helps maintain a healthy mucous membrane and skin.
Breakdown of Nutritional Values for a cup of mango - Calories 100; Fat - 0.5g; Protein - 1g; Carbohydrate (sugar) - 23g; Fiber - 3g; Vitamin C - 100% (of daily need); Vitamin A - 35%; Folate - 20%; Vitamin B6 - 10% and Vitamin K - 8%; Potassium - 257mg.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Tender Green Baby Spinach (Pasalai Keerai) or Lettuce Leaves - 4 cups
- Cucumber - 1 medium size
- Ripe Mango (medium / large size) - 1
- Tomato (Cherry / Bangalore) - 1 cup / 1
- Avocado - 1 (optional)
- Red Onion - ½
- Fresh Coconut - Grated (Optional) - ¼ cup
- Fresh Coriander Leaves - Â½ cup (diced)
- Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- Olive Oil (extra virgin preferably) - 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper - ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) - ¼ tsp
- Sea Salt - ¼ tsp (finely ground)
- Fresh Lime Juice - 3 tbsp
- Lime zest - 2 tsp (available at Niligris Supermarket)
- Honey (preferably organic) - 2 tsp (optional)
1. Wash the Greens (Baby Spinach or Lettuce) thoroughly and drain. If using lettuce, tear into thin strips. (Tip: do not use a knife as this lends a bitter taste to lettuce)
2. De-seed the cucumber and cut into thin long strips.
3. Slice the mango into long thin strips or into bite sized pieces.
4. If using Cherry tomatoes (cut into half) or else cut the tomato into small pieces.
5. Avocado (should be just right, neither too ripe nor raw) - de-seed and cut into bite sized pieces.
6. Shave the Red Onions or finely slice into long pieces.
7. Soak the cashew nuts in water for a bit to soften it.
8. Place all the ingredients for the dressing into the mixer / blender and mix / blend, until smooth or a slightly rough texture (choice of texture to your taste).
9. Place all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl, add the salad dressing and gently toss.
10. Serve immediately.
It can be eaten as a snack or with any lunch or dinner preparations.
Note: If eating it with Tortilla Chips (Tostitos) then add 2 small fresh green chilies, finely dice them, before adding them. Do not add the greens (baby spinach or lettuce leaves). Roughly mash the tomatoes and avocado in the bowl, along with the other ingredients. Makes a great salsa. Refrigerate for 15 - 20 minutes before serving.