VegGre Pongal (Kaai Kari Keerai Pongal)
This recipe is a One Pot Meal with the goodness of protein, carbohydrates and minerals, ideal for Senior citizens as well as for fussy children. This is Ven Pongal with a twist. Adding sprouts and greens which children might not eat if given separately is a great idea. Adds flavour and is a great option for the lunch box.
• Raw Rice - 1 Cup
• Mulai Kattiya Pachai Payaru - 1 Cup
• Onions - 1 (Finely Chopped)
• Carrot, Cabbage, Potato, Peas, Chow Chow, Beans, Cauliflower - 2 Cups (Finely Chopped)
• Mulai Keerai - 1 Cup (Cleaned and Finely Chopped)
• Green Chillies - 2
• Ginger Paste - 2 tsp
• Pepper - 50 Gms
• Cashew Nuts - 50 Gms
• Cooking Oil - 1 tbsp
• Ghee - 1 tbsp
• Asafoetida - 2 tsp
• Curry Leaves
• Salt to taste
1. Add Cooking Oil & Ghee and Asafoetida & Pepper (2 tsp), in a cooker and heat.
2. Fry Curry Leaves and Cashew Nuts. Then add finely chopped onions and ginger paste and deep dry.
3. Now add the fine chopped vegetables (2 cups) and stir well.
4. Add Mulai keerai once you get a good aroma.
5. Then add Raw Rice (1 cup, rinsed and cleaned) along with the Mulai Kattiya Pachai Payaru (1 cup).
6. Add salt for taste and pour 5 tumblers of water and stir well.
7. Now close the cooker lid and wait for 3 whistles.
Kaai Kari Keerai Pongal is now ready to serve.
# Kaai Kari Keerai Pongal can be had with coconut chutney or sambar.
Tips: Wash clean the peels of the vegetables used for the above Pongal. Add curry leaves to it and fry. Add little oil, Black Gram - 4tps, 4 Red chillies (Varamilakai), Asafoetida, White Sesame - 2tps and fry well. Then add Tamarind and Salt to it. Blend it in a mixer and you get a tasty Thuvayal.