Ultrasound of abdomen
- Solid organs such as liver, pancreas, kidneys, spleen and fluid filled structures such as gall bladder, urinary bladder can be assessed
- No radiation involved and safe investigation
- Preferably done in fasting status
- Not a great tool to diagnose stomach and intestinal problems
Computed Tomography (CT or CAT) Scan
- Best test to diagnose stones in urinary tract.
- Involves ionizing radiation and is thus avoided in children and during pregnancy
- Internal organs of abdomen such as liver, biliary tract, pancreas, spleen, kidneys, intestines and pelvic organs could be visualized.
- Also shows detailed images of bones, tissues, muscles and blood vessels
MR Enterography/ CT Enterography