Two kinds of back pain.
* Acute- Pain lasts for a short time
Caused by accidents, falls or lifting something heavy.
Usually RICE treatment and pain medication is enough to relieve it.
* Chronic- Lasts for 3 months or more
Could be due to aggravating previous injury.
A result of an illness like arthritis, fibromyalgia, or spinal stenosis.
May happen due to repeated stress on an area.
Pain medication, physiotherapy and rest may be needed.
Tips to avoid back pain
1. Exercise – Back exercises that strengthen back muscles.
• Cat stretch – Rest on knees and palms.
Raise your back, stretching it.
Lower it as far as you can.
• Head and leg raise – Lie on your front, hands folded under your chin.
Raise hands lifting head and legs together at the same time.
• Table – Lie down, place heels on stool
Raise hips off the ground (your torso will be straight like a table)
Bring hips down.
2. Watch your weight
• If you are on the heavier side, losing weight can greatly reduce stress on the lower back
3. Posture correction
• Stand with your back straight and not slouched.
• Sit on straight backed chairs and if necessary use a pillow at the small of your back
4. Sleep position
• Sleeping on your side, knees slightly bent, and pulled up towards your stomach curves the back and stretches it.
• If you prefer lying on your back, place a small pillow on the curve of your back to support it.
5. When lifting something:-
• Bend your knees and pick it up.
• Don’t lift heavy objects.
6. Wear proper shoes
• Avoid high heels
• Buy shoes with a comfortable grip
• Make sure your shoes are shock absorbent