Critical care is a medical specialty that deals specifically with life threatening health problems and situations.
Conditions where a person would need critical care:
- Heart attack
- Surgical complications
- Trauma from road accidents
- Allergic reactions
Why is an ICU important for critically ill patients ?
- Intense support and treatment
- Constant monitoring
- Round the clock nursing care
- Instruments to track parameters
- Machines to alert team if there is a shift in parameters
- A team trained to respond to any emergency
- Doctors on call round the clock.
Some of the machines available in ICU include:-
- Ventilator- Breathing machine
- Cardiac or heart monitors- To monitor the electrical activity of the heart.
- Swan-Ganz catheter- To measure fluid filling the heart, Monitor heart function.
- Arterial lines- To monitor blood pressure.
- ECMO- To circulate blood through an artificial lung back into the bloodstream, Provide heart-lung bypass support.
- Defibrillator- To revive heartbeat
- Dialysis machine- To take over the work of damaged kidneys
The ultimate goal of the ICU is to:-
- Respond to an emergency
- Stabilize the patient
- Monitor the patient
- Transition of patient to regular care