Adding a salad to your daily diet is a great way to develop healthy and nutritious eating habits. Here is one that is easy to make and uses easy to procure ingredients. This is a perfect example of how healthy does not mean tasteless and bland. After you have tried this recipe a few times, you can start experimenting with different ingredients change the taste.
- 1 medium head Broccoli
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small purple cabbage
- 3 to 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- Wash all the raw ingredients and place them in a colander to drain.
- If the lettuce leaves remain excessively damp, spin them to remove any remaining moisture. This will ensure that they remain crunchy and add texture to the salad.
- Place the leaves in a salad bowl to form the base of the salad.
- Break the broccoli florets into approximately 2 inch size pieces and place them in a pan of hot water. The water should be hot but not boiling.
- Do not peel the zucchini as this will reduce the nutrition value. Cut it lengthwise into 2 inch long pieces and place them in the same pan as the broccoli.
- Cut the cabbage into 2 inch size pieces.
- The flax seeds can be used raw or toasted, depending on personal preference.
Pour the lemon juice into a small bowl. Crush the garlic clove and add it to the juice. Add salt and pepper to taste and allow the mixture to rest for a few minutes.
Drain the broccoli and zucchini and place them on top of the lettuce leaves in the bowl. Place the cabbage on top. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss until all the ingredients are coated with the dressing. Pour the flax and sunflower seeds on the top and serve.