Healthy Oats Upma
Oats Upma is a simple, quick and nutritious breakfast option that will start your day off on the right note.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes.
Serves: 1 or 2
- Oats - ½ cup
- Sooji / rava - ¼ cup
- Onion - 1 medium to large finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 inch finely chopped
- Mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, potato, peas, capsicum, cauliflower) - 1 cup
- Water - ¾ cup
- Salt to taste
- Seasoning - 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, ½ teaspoon urad dal, 1 red chili, pinch of hing and a few curry leaves.
- Dry roast oats till they are a little hot
- Dry roast the rava. If using pre-roasted rava, skip this.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds splutter, add the rest of the seasoning ingredients.
- Add the onions, ginger and green chili and sauté till the onions become transparent.
- Add the vegetables, sauté for a few more minutes and add ¾ cup of water.
- Add salt as required.
- When the water boils lower the flame and add the rava / sooji and stir continuously until half cooked.
- Add the oats, cover and cook till the oats are done.
Serve with sambar or chutney.